These Smoked Baked Beans are a smooth combination of sweetness and heat with a dash of smoke. Smoked Cowboy Beans are a bold, saucy side dish with a robust blend of flavors. Sweet, smoky, and delicious, these baked beans are smoked with peppers, onions, bbq sauce, and brown sugar, to name just a few ingredients. This timeless recipe, infused with smoke and bacon, is the best we’ve come across in a long while.
These sweet and zesty beans are a great side dish for any BBQ occasion. They can be made the day before and then smoked on the day. They get a more rich flavor with a 24-hour rest before serving.
Quality truly matters, especially if we spend several hours making this recipe, and tomatoes are one of the cornerstones of amazing chili or beans. We recommend using the San Marzano variety of tomatoes because of its rich flavor, tender texture, and mild acidity. Other benefits of the San Marzano variety are they are less sweet and contain minimal seeds. This variety of tomatoes should become a kitchen staple due to its flavor and versatility of use in sauces.
2 - 15oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 - tablespoons olive oil
12 - bacon strips, chopped or Brisket burnt ends
4 - red bell peppers, diced
2 - yellow onions, diced
2 - garlic cloves, chopped
1 - 28oz can San Marzano diced tomatoes
1/2 - cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/8 - cup Worcestershire sauce
1 - cup BBQ sauce, your favorite brand or homemade
1 1/2 - cup beef stock/broth
1 - packet Smoked Bros Chili Mix
1. Preheat your smoker to 250°F.
*You can also make this recipe in a crock pot or oven. You will sacrifice the rich smoke flavor by doing so, but you can add Smoked Bros Hickory Smoked Sea Salt to add a smoke flavor to the beans.
2. Add beans to a large aluminum pan. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon, bell peppers and onions. Cook until golden brown. Then add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
*Do not burn your garlic when cooking it. Burnt garlic gives a very bitter taste and will make the best recipe taste like hot garbage.
4. Stir in tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Smoked Bros Chili Mix. Simmer for 5 minutes until ingredients are evenly blended.
5. Transfer mixture to the aluminum pan with the beans. Gently stir the ingredients together.
6. Place the aluminum pan in your smoker. Smoked for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
7. Remove the baked beans from smoker and let them rest for 15 minutes.
Smoked Bros is a Special Forces Veteran-owned spices & seasoning company serving craft flavors to people who love the All-America past time of cooking and BBQ. We develop our kinetic flavor profiles with the same surgical precision as our military missions, defending the greatest country on the planet.
At Smoked Bros, we use the highest quality ingredients that are ethically sourced from around the globe and deliver them to your front door. The quality of our craft seasonings at our price point is unmatched.
Here at Smoked Bros, we are committed to delivering the highest quality ingredients that are ethically sourced from around the globe. With every purchase, we give back to America’s warfighters, first responders, and underserved communities.